I'm a billboard and business card connoisseur. It's a long-time hobby of mine. I'm always on the lookout for really good ones but am, more often, assaulted with the really bad ones. Think about it - you are driving at a fairly good clip down the road or networking in a room full of folks. You are listening to the radio or having a conversation, so you aren't completely aware of everything you see. You are scanning, at best. For a billboard or a business card to be impactful, it has to be eye-catching and give you exactly the information you need exactly when you need it.
For both billboards and business cards to have a better chance at impact, they MUST get to the point quickly. Let's save billboard tips for another post, and focus today on what you can do to get better business cards that get you better attention!
1. Design matters. Gone are the days of boring business cards. Invest in a design that is beautiful and says "quality." There are lots of sites that offer templates and design services. Use them!
2. Your words matter. Instead of using the prime real estate on the card for your company's mission statement or list of services, use a simple tagline that tells your audience what problem you solve for them or how you solve it.
3. Use an image. Show a picture of success. If you are a painter, show a beautiful space you've painted. If you are a fundraising professional, show a photo of the people your organization serves. In some cases (think consultants, coaches, and authors), it's even okay to use a photo of yourself. Images help people imagine their place in your organization!
4. Use both sides of the card. You might as well use the space given to you. Just don't overcrowd the cards - it's a small space. Keep it simple!
5. Outsource printing. Quality matters and your at-home-job just isn't cutting it. There are lots of sites that do printing at reasonable rates. It is worth it! I recommend www.vistaprint.com for budget-conscious folks and www.moo.com for those who want a really special card and don't mind paying a bit extra for it.
Check out some of these favorite business cards that Tic Tac Toe Marketing has created!
As always, let us know if we can help! Set up a free consultation here...